Does anyone really know what "boxing day" is? . . no one down in Tasmania could give me a good explanation. .. the explanations varied. People said something having to do with gifts and their boxes; some said it had to do with an English practice of boxing up belongings the day after Christmas in preparation to go on a holiday; Jed, my boss at the time, said it had to do with Jesus being put in a box. . . I tried to explain to him that it was a manger, not a box. He said, "It was probably a box, mate . . .probably a box."
After two days of rest and/or easy riding, I had a great day on the indoor trainer . . . I felt great . . my numbers look good.
it's interesting: the highs and lows. I guess it's just like any other job . . sometimes you question it, then sometimes you can't believe you would ever question it.
I have a huge opportunity ahead of me. .. one that I really don't even have a grasp of .. largely b/c the outcome is what I make of it. .. . not only having to do with my performance on the the bike, but also with team building/morale, the good friends and connections I make along the way, the experience of taking something like cycling--cycling for a team, and making it your own; giving to it your own twist; taking towards it your own approach, your own understanding, strength, ability. .. making it something that isn't private, rather, shared and transparent to those who want to know and invest.
There's a reason so many euros go crazy for the sport of cycling. there is a commonality that can be found on and through the bike. If it's not biking that people relate to, it might be the joy, or the pain .. . .or the times that nothing seems to go right, or the times when all you are is lucky; moments when you need some one's help. .. or times win you can't hide how you're feeling, what your made of.
it's not cycling, it's a parody.
friday I fly back to CA.
then it's the long narrow stretch leading to the Tour of CA. .. (http://www.tourofcalifornia.com/)
No comments:
Post a Comment