Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I'm on the tail end of a roller coaster day.
It started off on an cup of joe at the Bulldog on an empty stomach,
then Lance walked in . . . and the only reason I was so inclined to interrupt his coffee/newspaper time .. .was that i thought i might have an in .. . that what the hay, carpe diem, carpe la opportunidad.
I saw that Lance's Texan friend was with him, the guy he talked about in the books, and the guy I've seen on TV with Lance when Sheryl was doing a surprise remake of his Mustang hot rod. . some $100k make over, to which L's response was: wahoo, I'm going to have to put a couple hard days of training to deserve this (no exclamation).
So, i quickly googled "Lance Armstrong, best friend" before turning off my computer: John ... or "College" as they say.
So i walked over to J and L. I said "hey, you're John right? and Lance? (shaking both their hands) I'm Scott; just wanted to say what's up. I've been up in Santa Rosa training with Levi. .. he's going pretty good. . actually, i had to set out the first few days of our camp just to rest up from training with'm (Scott: smile) (Lance: eagle eye) . .. (silence) .. uh, well, catch ya later."
I was all fired up. My in had no impact, no leverage (Levi's now riding for Discovery, which Lance co-owns and still sort of directs) . ..
no one person should have such power over you. i felt as nervous as i did at my 7th grade valentine's day dance.

we (BMC) then met the Shimano (sponsor) guys before setting out on our Tour of CA stage 6 reconiscense ride, 5.5 hour, 110 miles, 4200 kilo joules (calories) .. . 3 small climbs that we went full throttle on and over. . pushing land mark watts .. .
now, Ian McKissik and I are down in San Diego with Scott Thomson (BMC brand Mngr) and Rich Sangalli (wrenchy/mechanic) .. . awaiting tomorrow. .. tomorrow we get to go to the wind tunnel laboratory and sit and peddle our TT bikes while some lab rats master mind our position, maximizing our effort and minimizing the resistance .. . this is like the real deal.
i feel like Charlie, in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, who found the Golden Ticket and got the chance to be one of few who get the chance to see what goes on inside. . .
i really cant believe all this. all the chocolate i can eat. !

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can see why you would be nervous... you just met one of the worlds all time greatest atheletes. doesnt sound very cool though. by the way, check out those gobstoppers...

Unknown said...

I'm surprised he looked up. I've heard he's "hard of hearing" with people when the camera's not around. Major kudos for the approach.

megan monroe said...

and do the schnozberries taste like schnozberries?!

glad to hear you're movin mts.!
keep on keep'n on!
:)


projectrwanda.org

projectrwanda.org